Thursday, September 9, 2010

Burning the Koran

I have something to say about this…typically I don’t comment on current affairs or the news I find them to be depressing and believe whole-heartedly that God is in control. And unless I am planning on taking a political stand of high exposure that might actually change the world I would much rather talk about something that actually matters in my circles of influence. But I do have something to say about this person’s approach.

If someone is going to call him or herself a Christian, a follower or an imitator of Christ they need to get familiar with what the Word of God says, the Bible is God’s words, and a manual (sorta speak) and instructions for us to live by. For anyone that has studied the Bible and is aware that Christ is God’s son, and the whole New Testament especially is our guide to live by.

It is stated CLEARLY, in the Bible that we are to love our enemies. If we are to love our enemy that means we are to love everyone, you are either friend or foe.

Matthew 5:43-44 "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy, But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute yo

Luke 6:27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

Luke 6:35 “But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.”

1 Corinthians 13:13 “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”

These verses are just a beginning to what God has to say about loving your enemy. I can’t find anywhere is the Bible that God tells us to take revenge or be hateful to anyone, but I do see this is scripture.

Romans 12:19 “Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.”

So here is a message for the originator of this non-Christian, un-Godly idea, “READ your BIBLE or Don’t Call YOURSELF a CHRISTIAN” and for any of my friends that think that this is acceptable, READ YOUR BIBLE.

Just some off the top of my head thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. The following are comments posted about this blog on facebook.
    Burning the Koran
    by Lisa Fillmore on Thursday, September 9, 2010

    Ann Smith, Eileen Grupido Plattenberg, Courtney Fillmore and 2 others like this.

    Mike Elwood McElwain I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say here. Bravo!
    September 9 at 10:02pm · LikeUnlike
    o
    Annie Arbitter perfect! this is exactly what i was trying to convince my dad of earlier!
    September 9 at 10:25p
    o
    Regina Steurer Well said Lisa and I agree 100%!
    September 9 at 11:17pm

    Eileen Grupido Plattenberg Amen! Can I click the share button???
    September 9 at 11:32pm

    Rick Parker
    Good perspective Lisa as it appears this action is really just a publicity stunt. I really wish the media would let this story go, but unfortunately,too much money involved.

    I receive weekly emails about the persecuted church. Christian chu...rch burnings in Kenya and Nigeria are happening with increased frequency. In some cases, our brothers and sisters are locked inside and burned to death. I think this stunt will make it worse for them. Of course, our fine media will never cover those burnings.

    Lisa Fillmore Sure Eileen.

    o
    Lezlie Luceus Cebulski I agree 100%. They will know Christians by our LOVE.
    Lora Parisien Begin Amen

    Gary Atkinson
    You are right on target with this one Lisa! Great job! Is it possible for a Christian to be "filled" with hate? Or have the desire to return hate with hate?

    Lezlie, when we go into the prison we always close our meetings by putting our arms ...on each others shoulders in a circle and sing "they will know we are Christians by our love". Truely life changing!!!See More
    September 10 at 8:22am · LikeUnlike
    o
    Natalie Rohrer
    Lisa, this is so true. Hate groups are springing up everywhere and many who call themselves Christians actually believe in hate and advocate terrible deaths to their enemies. I'm wondering why these groups don't believe in leading by exampl...e? NYC has been through enough and if this idiot actually burns the Koran, guess who gets the retaliation? My city. I'm tired of all the fighting. Just as Muslims don't want to be lumped in with the extremists, I think good and well-meaning Christians need to separate themselves from these haters as well
    Pattie Pool Holt Very well said!

    Rita Brown You know Lisa that you and I have had spirited conversations in the past...but on this I agree wholeheartedly. Respectful coexistence....what a concept.....
    September 10 at 4:25pm · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading...
    o
    Jennifer Bostek Lisa - as a Buddhist for many years, I agree completely. We consider Jesus' life and words a model for how to deal with these issues.

    ReplyDelete