Friday, January 28, 2011

"The King's Speech": my thoughts.

While it’s fresh in my mind I want to share my thoughts on the movie, “The King’s Speech”. Yes, it is rated R, but I personally will allow my sons see it. And those of you that know me know that I don’t even let my kids watch PG-13 movies, (maybe someday I will write a blog on movies and how I think they affect the adolescent brain!!) It’s rated R because of the use of some inappropriate language, but in reality any kid that goes to a public school no matter how old he/she is has heard these words in a disturbing way, the use of these words in this movie, are at least befitting to the story.

This movie touched me on many levels, but most of all the idea of being a “kindred spirit” with another person is what moved me. We all have friends throughout our lives that we have connections with perhaps by a shared event, a common cause and perhaps even a vague connection with those friends of convenience (I think you all know what I mean by that) but few people go through life without a friend of some sort. But the idea of a “kindred spirit” is what I think this movie relayed to me. The definition of a "kindred spirit" is: An individual with the same beliefs, attitudes or feelings as oneself. But I would take this idea a step farther, to me there are people we come across in our life that we share a deeper type of bond with, I’m not referring to a romantic type of bond. I am referring to those people weaved into our lives that when we think of them we smile and long to talk to. Those conversations that start out as a simple “hello” and can lead to a real thought provoking conversation. A person you can trust with your most heart felt feelings, that you can share ideas with, and that person you see great potential in and want to see them succeed in life for no other reason than your deep feeling of fondness towards them. This is the type of friendship that this movie is about. Two strangers that met each other through a common cause and ended up being “kindred spirits.” Sharing the good bad and the ugly, lovingly pushing that friend to be a better person, to perhaps achieve goals that they may have never achieved with out the encouragement, kindness, tough-love and unconditional friendship that is shared by only a few people in a life time.

How wonderful it would be if we could all be “that” kind of a friend to everyone. I think that the reason God only allows us to experience this type of friendship with a few people in our lifetime is because it takes a lot of heart space for this kind of friendship. Just by default of being human, we rarely have the capacity to love to this extent. But on the road to becoming more Christ-like, the more capacity God gives us. Ultimately we get our example of this type of friendship from Jesus. Oh, to be able to love as Jesus does…what a beautiful place this would be.

John 13:23 (The Message)

“The disciples looked around at one another, wondering who on earth he was talking about. One of the disciples, the one Jesus loved dearly, was reclining against him, his head on his shoulder.…”

Can you even imagine being so close to Jesus that you could put your head on His shoulder? Wow.

This movie and Jesus' example of friendship makes me eager to evaluate, what kind of a friend am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment